Pedestrian Education & Enforcement July 14-18
Fair Oaks Police District – Following a week of on-site public education and warnings, officers from the Fair Oaks Police District began a comprehensive pedestrian enforcement campaign around the Vienna Metro today. The goal of the campaign is to prevent injuries and deaths due to pedestrian crashes. There were 24 crashes involving pedestrians or bicycles near the Vienna Metro in 2013-14.
The campaign runs from July 14-18. Patrol officers, Neighborhood Patrol Units, and motorcycles have already distributed over 1,000 pedestrian safety flyers over the past week in the area. With the growth of Metro stations in Fairfax County, the police department reminds all commuters (whether walking, driving, or bicycling) to be alert and pay fulltime attention.
Additional pedestrian safety tips include:
- Cross the street at marked crosswalks and intersections
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing
- Use pedestrian pushbuttons to control traffic lights
- Begin crossing the street on “Walk” signal
- Stay visible after dark and in bad weather
- Watch out for trucks and buses backing out of parking spaces and driveways