UPDATE: In-Custody Death, Monty Saito; Medical Examiner Report Determined Death to be Accidental

Detectives are completing their investigation into an inmate death that occurred on Friday, November 20, 2015. This is our fifth informational release regarding this investigation. The original release and all subsequent releases can be found here.

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015, Monty Roy Saito, 50, of Santa Clara, CA, had been extradited from California to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center (ADC) on multiple outstanding, felonious drug-related charges. He was medically cleared upon booking and housed alone in a minimum security risk cell.

On Monday, November 16, 2015, a deputy found Saito experiencing a medical emergency on the floor in front of his cell. It appears that he had fallen as a result of a medical issue and struck his head on the floor when he fell. The fall was heard by other inmates and another deputy. They immediately called for medical assistance and Saito was ground-transported to the Inova Fair Oaks Hospital for treatment. Police were notified of the event per protocol.

Hospital staff later moved Saito to Inova Fairfax Hospital based on his particular medical needs. He remained there for two days, then returned to the ADC on Wednesday, November 18, 2015, and housed in a cell in the medical infirmary for monitoring. Overnight on Thursday, November 19, another deputy, doing a routine patrol, found Saito lying unresponsive on the cell floor. He was immediately transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital.  Later that evening, hospital staff determined his condition had worsened and notified his family. At 2:45 a.m. on Friday, November 20, Saito was pronounced dead.

On March 10, 2016, detectives from the Major Crimes Division received the autopsy report from the Office of the Medical Examiner who determined the cause of death to be blunt head trauma, resulting from striking his head on the floor when he collapsed during the initial medical emergency on November 16, 2015. The report lists the manner of death as accidental.

Detectives are completing the investigation and will submit the entire case file in the near future to the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Fairfax County for review and assessment of criminal liability.

An update on this investigation will be released within 30 days or as information becomes available.  To view our last release regarding the investigation click here.