UPDATE: Chief Shares Audio Excerpts from Larkspur Drive Barricade Radio Traffic

Colonel Edwin C. Roessler Jr., Chief of Police, shared two audio clips from the police radio traffic of the suspicious event-turned-barricade that occurred on Wednesday, March 2 in the 6200 block of Larkspur Drive, in Alexandria, at the May 10 Public Safety Committee meeting. The chief firmly believes the manner in which this call was handled from start to finish illustrates the high level of professionalism and composure both he and the community expects of our officers.

The two audio segments depict the moments just after the call is dispatched—as officers were arriving and reported being fired upon—and the end of the incident—when the suspect was surrendering. There is an approximate one-and-a-half-hour separation between the time of the first and second excerpt.

Barricade situations often take several hours to resolve, and even when they coincide with a criminal investigation, can involve individuals who are emotionally distressed. Our goal in any such event is to resolve each incident peacefully. Officers are trained to hold and contain the scene, then initiate dialogue through professionally trained crisis negotiators and take time to communicate one-on-one with the person (usually by phone) and provide the help and assistance they need.

Last July, the department revised policy guidelines pertaining to hostage and/or barricaded person situations. There are times when officers must use force to maintain order and public safety but protecting the sanctity of life and preserving community safety are core principles embedded within our public service mission. To learn more about our police response to hostage and barricade situations, view our policy: General Order 520.3.

(Update 3/2/16) UPDATE: Arrest, Charges Placed in Franconia-Area Barricade

The suspect, Sayed Robbie Javid, 19, of 6200 Larkspur Drive in the Alexandria-area of Fairfax County, involved in last night’s barricade situation, has been charged with assault on a police officer (VA Code: § 18.2-57(c)) and falsely summoning police (VA Code: § 18.2-461). He is held on no bond at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.


When Javid initially called the Department of Public Safety Communications (9-1-1) around 4:53 p.m., he allegedly claimed there was someone in the home who did not live or belong there. An investigation determined he had been alone in the home at the time he called 9-1-1 and after police were on scene. Major Crimes Division and Crime Scene Section detectives also determined the pistol Javid fired in the direction of arriving officers, was a starter revolver. This revolver fires cartridges which produce a muzzle flash, muzzle smoke, and the same repeating explosive sound of an actual bullet being fired. Based on these elements, officers’ instincts were to find immediate cover and safety, as they believed the pistol they saw and sounds they heard were from a real firearm.

The incident seems to have stemmed from a family argument that occurred earlier in the day. Police had responded to the home around 9 a.m. for a father and son arguing over the son’s poor conduct. The incident apparently escalated into a physical altercation and police charged the father with assault on a family member.

Weapons recovered by Crime Scene Section detectives; alleged to be in Javid’s possession:


(Starter pistol)


(Pellet rifle, located inside the home)


(Pellet rifle suspect was reported to have been holding when he exited the home)


(Pellet pistol suspect was reported to have been holding when he exited the home)

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at http://www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES/274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

(Original release 3/2/16) Barricade Successfully Resolved after Shots Fired at Officers

Police were called to a home in the 6200 block of Larkspur Drive on Wednesday, March 2, shortly before 5 p.m. for what was initially reported as a suspicious event; with the possibility of guns involved. As officers were arriving, the Department of Public Safety Communications (DPSC), was on the phone with an occupant of the home who was apparently experiencing some sort of distress. When officers approached the home, someone inside the home, fired shots in the direction of the officers. Fortunately, nobody was hit. A perimeter was immediately established around the home and neighbors were quickly advised to remain inside their homes. DPSC sent a reverse 9-1-1 and the situation was broadcast via social media.

The incident was declared a barricade and SWAT was called in. Crisis Negotiators, the police helicopter (Fairfax 1) and K9 also responded. Franconia Road was shut down in both directions from South Van Dorn Street to Beulah Street for the protection of passing motorists and residents, as well as to facilitate the police operation. DPSC continued to have periodic telephone communication with the suspect inside the home.

Shortly after 6:15 p.m., the suspect exited the home, armed with at least one handgun. He was given verbal commands to surrender but he initially refused. Less-lethal force was deployed in the form of a beanbag round from a police shotgun. At the same time, a police canine was released and apprehended the suspect. The 19-year-old suspect was taken into custody and transported to a local hospital with minor injuries. There were no injuries to other residents or officers.

Colonel Edwin C. Roessler Jr., Chief of the Fairfax County Police Department, addressed the public from the Franconia District Police Station shortly after the incident. It was streamed live on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/fairfaxcountypolice.