Police Explorer (Youth) Program: Seeking New Recruits, Registration Only Happens Once a Year
Are you between 14 and 20 years old? Interested in an inside look at policing while building leadership, critical-thinking and decision-making skills in a unique and exciting environment?? Consider becoming a Police Explorer!
Building important life and leadership skills is an essential part of strong, positive youth development. Police Exploring is a national program that offers youth an opportunity to learn these skills and build confidence while getting to know their local police officers and how they serve the community through public service.
Each Explorer program (known as a “Post”) mirrors the police department organizational structure. Explorers engage in much of the same training that sworn officers receive, learn about police procedures and policy and volunteer at a variety of community events. If that isn’t enough, a national law enforcement conference is held every other year during which thousands of Police Explorers from around the country compete in team and individual events and meet Explorers from police agencies around the country.
Membership sign-ups are only held once a year. Known as “First Nighters,” we’re hosting three informational sessions about the Police Explorer program and how you can apply. To learn how you can get involved in all the fun, visit one of our upcoming First Nighter info sessions:
- Monday, September 19 at 7 p.m. at the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy (14601 Lee Road, Chantilly, VA 20151)
- Monday, September 26 at 7 p.m. at the Massey Building (police headquarters, A-level conference room, 4110 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA 22030)
- Monday, October 3 at 7 p.m. at West Potomac High School (6500 Quander Road, Alexandria, VA 22307)
Fairfax County has three Posts to accommodate our geographically large and highly populated area. All three Posts operate similarly and often collaborate on training, projects and community events. Post meetings are held twice a month (Monday evenings) at the following locations:
- Post 1742: Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy in Chantilly
- Post 505: Annandale High School in Annandale
- Post 2252: West Potomac High School in Alexandria
We look forward to seeing you there!
To learn more now about the FCPD Police Explorer program, visit: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/poli…/getinvolved/explorers.htm