Double Shooting, Hostage/Barricade Situation Ends in Use of Deadly Force

Reston Police District – A man who shot and wounded two other men and held another man hostage in the Herndon area today (January 16) was fatally shot by officers after a two-hour barricade situation.

Around 2:40 p.m., officers were called for a report of two men who had been shot. The victims drove themselves to the hospital and reported the incident occurred at a home in the 13300 block of Covered Wagon Lane. Officers immediately responded to both the hospital and the home. They determined the suspect was inside armed with a gun and set up a perimeter to isolate the area.

Preliminarily, our investigation reveals the suspect fired several shots and started a fire, both inside the home. Officers set up a perimeter, isolated the area and began evacuating neighbors. Members of the Crisis Negotiations Team and SWAT were called to assist. They made several attempts to negotiate with the suspect and have him voluntarily surrender.

Officers then learned there was another man trapped inside and could not escape. As smoke inundated the house and billowed out the windows, officers heard repeated gunshots. Officers also observed the suspect holding and moving around with at least one knife. Out of concern for the hostage and the suspect, officers made the decision to approach the home.

As they approached the front door, the suspect stepped outside armed with knife in hand and lunged toward the officers in an aggressive manner. Both less-lethal and deadly force were deployed. The suspect was shot. Officers immediately began rendering aid to him and he was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The two initial victims are expected to survive. The hostage was quickly rescued from the home. He was treated at the scene for non-life-threatening injuries.

Detectives continue their investigation to piece together a chronological sequence of events and determine the exact relationship between the victims and the suspect. We are working to positively identify the suspect and will release his name when available. The involved officer is on routine administrative leave while the investigation is being conducted. Thankfully, no officers, firefighters or any of the neighbors were injured.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131 or report an anonymous tip to Crime Solvers electronically by visiting or text-a-tip by texting “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES(274637).