Mason Police District – An autopsy is being conducted today, June 8, on a 3-year-old boy who fell from a window yesterday at a home in the 5700 block of Magnolia Lane, in Falls Church. The child was immediately taken to the hospital, but succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead just after 1 p.m. An investigation determined around 12:20 p.m., the child was playing in an upper-level room. A window in the room was open, with a screen in place. The child leaned on the screen, which buckled and the child fell through.Detectives believe this death was an accident. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will determine the exact cause and manner of death.
“According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, on average eight children ages 5 and under die each year as a result of falling out of windows, and 3,300 are injured” (Safe Kids Worldwide Report to the Nation: Protecting Children in Your Home, 2015). To help keep your children safer at home, consider the following safety tips:
- Keep play areas away from windows.
- Keep furniture away from windows in case children climb on them.
- Keep windows closed and locked, especially when children are playing.
- Even when screens are in place, they cannot support the weight of a child.
- Consider installing hardware that only allow the window to open a few inches.