UPDATE: June 2018 In-Custody Death

Body worn camera footage can be found here:

Critical Incident Investigation Updates


MEDIA ALERT: News Conference on June 2018 In-Custody Death

Franconia Police District – On June 26th, 2018, our officers responded to an overdose call in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County. This afternoon Colonel Edwin C. Roessler Jr. will update the community on the investigations by the Commonwealth Attorney, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, and our Internal Affairs into the in-custody death.


Public Safety Headquarters

12099 Government Center Parkway

Press Room: 2nd Floor

Fairfax, Virginia 22035


Wednesday, November 28, at 12:00 p.m.


Please DO NOT park in the fire lanes. Parking is available in two garages. Please take note of the vehicle height clearances so you don’t damage your vehicles. Satellite trucks may park on the shoulders as you approach the round-a-bout. When you enter the round-about in front of our building, veer right and you will see a garage on your left and a garage on your right. There are a few first-come-first-serve spots as soon as you enter the garage on the right. There are additional visitor spots in the garage on the left. There will be officers outside to help guide you.


(Original release date: June 27, 2018)

Investigation Underway Following In-Custody Death

We are actively investigating an in-custody death in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County. Patrol officers from our Franconia and Mount Vernon District Stations responded to the 4300 block of Mission Court for an overdose call for service at 4:32 yesterday afternoon involving 31-year-old Christopher Paul who was experiencing either a mental or medical health episode. A family member was struck in the head from his actions. When officers arrived on scene, they found the family member outside the house. Paul was inside the house. Crisis intervention trained officers entered the home, and tried to de-escalate the situation by speaking with Paul. He was actively trying to harm himself and fell on the floor. Immediately after Paul fell, officers safely placed him in handcuffs to prevent further harm to himself or others. After officers handcuffed him, Paul continued to flail and a supplemental nylon restraining device was used to restrict his leg movements to protect officers and fire department personnel from being kicked. As Fairfax County Fire and Rescue staff were medically assessing Paul, he became unresponsive and medics immediately began treating him. Fire department personnel took Paul to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Six officers have been placed on routine administrative leave pending the criminal and administrative investigations. The following officers responded:

  • Officer from Mount Vernon District Station, 2 years of service
  • Officer from Franconia District Station, 4 months of service
  • Officer from Franconia District Station, 15 years of service
  • Officer from Franconia District Station, 15 years of service
  • Officer from Franconia District Station, 2 years of service
  • First line supervisor from Franconia District Station, 13 years of service

As a part of our body worn camera pilot program, there is footage from the Mount Vernon District officer that will be released by the Chief when it will no longer jeopardize the integrity of the investigation. Once the criminal investigation is complete, the case will be presented to the Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney.

For our policies and procedures, please visit https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/chief/generalorders/gos

For ongoing updates, please read our blog and follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram at @FairfaxCountyPD.